Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

'How can YOU not see it?'



Good morning, my darling...

So I work on Saturdays. I find that most tiresome and at first, I would complain about it and whine about it and oh poor me, working on the weekend.

However, today in the morning when I was talking to God, I asked Him to help me see things differently. To open my eyes to the things I have missed before. And you know how people say that God takes forever to reply their questions or answer their requests? I guess we just ask the wrong question and ask for the wrong things because He worked lightening fast with my request.

So I was in my little trishaw on the way to work, when I learned 3 beautiful lessons. I like to call it being schooled in a Trishaw.



1.      The Garbage Truck
So we passed by the garbage truck on the way to work and, oh my word, it seriously stunk. Garbage trucks in Sri Lanka look like this. And there are about 5 or 6 men in that truck. They shout ‘kunuuuuuu’ at the top of their voice which means ‘garbage’ in Sinhala and they slowly make their way down the street picking up garbage from all the houses. Now just driving past that truck made me feel sick because of the stench, but imagine having to stay with that truck the whole day? I immediately felt so much gratitude towards those men who did that for us. And on top of that, I felt so much shame for complaining about me having to work on Saturday. How dare I complain when there are people out there who have much more challenging jobs in much more challenging environments. 

Note to myself: Someone, somewhere, is having a much worse day than me. Thus, I must over myself. 

2.      The Mother that Waits
And then I passed this school and I saw a lot of women sitting outside in the sun, waiting. At first I was wondering, why are these women sitting out here for?? And then I realized, they are waiting for their daughters to finish classes. Ok, so for some people this may be hard to understand, but it’s not a safe world anymore for young girls. Especially in a country like Sri Lanka, where you can’t get into a bus or train or even walk on the road without some ignorant man groping you or passing crude remarks. If I had a daughter, I would be mortified to send her alone anywhere after what I have seen and experienced. And I realized that most of those women have probably brought their young daughters to school and wait for them to finish and bring them back home, because maybe it’s too much of a distance for them to go and come back later to pick them up. And inside of me, my heart welled with pride and gratitude. Proud of these amazing women who don’t mind sitting out there in the sun waiting for their children, simply because they want to make sure their daughters get home safely. But that’s what parents do for their kids. They sacrifice for them. And in that moment, I just thanked God from the bottom of my heart for MY parents who have sacrificed more than I even know. Many times I have not even appreciated it, but I just really thanked God for them and blessed them for all they did for me. I truly hope and pray that I can do the same and more for you, my precious.  

Note to myself: If I can’t sacrifice, I can’t love. And if I can’t love, then…I might as well dig a hole and stick my head in it. Like an ostrich.

3.      Watch Out for the Humps!
Everyday my trishaw driver complains that he has to keep fixing his trishaw. I am not surprised because of how he drives over humps and potholes as if his trishaw is Super Bunny or something. It’s almost like he is blind. Seriously. And I was quietly asking God, ‘HOW can this man not see that his trishaw keeps breaking down because of how reckless and ignorant his driving is?? HOW can he not see that? WHY won’t he just slow down a bit?’ And God asked me ‘HOW can you not see that the lack of appreciation and gratitude in your life causes yourself and your relationships to hurt? How can YOU not see that? WHY don’t you slow down a bit to hear my voice and follow My lead?’ You know it is God speaking to you when He answers your question with another question!

            Note to myself: Be still. Be patient. Always be thankful. Always.

            2nd note to myself: Get the trishaw driver some glasses.

So now here I am work, happy as a beetle. Looking forward to what this day brings. Looking around me for more things to learn.

So I encourage you, my love. Don’t settle for a routine. There are always new things to learn, new things to experience and new things to work on in our lives.

“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2 (NLT)

I love you.
Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment